1. Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Arena Server

UTC 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

US Small A guide to the Six Samurai

Greetings everyone. I decided to make a discussion about my favourite metagame deck, the Six Samurai. Now and days this deck seems to be overlooked, due to the popularity of Zombie Monarchs, LightSworns, Gladiator Beasts, Norleras decks, Nurse Burn, Gaia decks, and Synchros. Which is perfectly understood, though I decided to explain my thoughts on this deck as well as share whats currently available for it and what is yet to be added to this deck in the near future.

First lets look at the monsters.

Chamberlain of the Six Samurai
    Attack-200
    Defense-2000
    Effect-None (normal monster)

Grandmaster of the Six Samurai
    Attack-2100
    Defense-800
    Effect-You can only control 1 "Grandmaster of the Six Samurai" monster. While you control a face-up "Six Samurai" monster, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. When this card is destroyed by your opponent's card effect, add 1 "Six Samurai" monster from your Graveyard to your hand.

Hand of the Six Samurai(Not yet online)
    Attack-1600
    Defense-1000
    Effect-While you control another "Six Samurai" monster, you can Tribute 1 "Six Samurai" monster to destroy 1 monster on the field.

Spirit of the Six Samurai
    Attack-500
    Defense-500
    Effect-Once per turn, you can equip this card to a face-up "Six Samurai" monster you control, OR unequip it and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. When equipped to a monster by this card's effect, that equipped monster gains 500 ATK and DEF. When the equipped monster destroys an opponent's monster by battle, draw 1 card. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.)

The Six Samurai-Irou
    Attack-1700
    Defense-1200
    Effect-While you control another "Six Samurai" monster with a different name, if this card attacks a face-down Defense Position monster, destroy the monster immediately with this card's effect without flipping it face-up or applying damage calculation. If this card would be destroyed, you can destroy another "Six Samurai" monster you control instead.

The Six Samurai-Kamon
    Attack-1500
    Defense-1000
    Effect-Once per turn, while you control another "Six Samurai" monster with a different name, you can destroy 1 face-up Spell or Trap Card. This monster cannot declare an attack during the turn this effect is used. If this card would be destroyed, you can destroy another "Six Samurai" monster you control instead.

The Six Samurai-Nisashi
    Attack-1400
    Defense-700
    Effect-While you control another "Six Samurai" monster with a different name, this card can attack twice during the same Battle Phase. If this card would be destroyed, you can destroy another "Six Samurai" monster you control instead.

The Six Samurai-Yaichi
    Attack-1300
    Defense-800
    Effect-Once per turn, while you control another "Six Samurai" monster with a different name, you can destroy 1 Set Spell or Trap Card. This monster cannot declare an attack during the turn this effect is used. If this card would be destroyed, you can destroy another "Six Samurai" monster you control instead.

The Six Samurai-Yariza
    Attack-1000
    Defense-500
    Effect-While you control another "Six Samurai" monster with a different name, this card can attack your opponent directly. If this card would be destroyed, you can destroy another "Six Samurai" monster you control instead.

The Six Samurai-Zanji
    Attack-1800
    Defense-1300
    Effect-While you control another "Six Samurai" monster with a different name, destroy any monster this card attacks at the end of the Damage Step. If this card would be destroyed, you can destroy another "Six Samurai" monster you control instead.

Shien's Footsoldier
    Attack-700
    Defense-300
    Effect-When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard, you can Special Summon 1 Level 3 or lower "Six Samurai" monster from your Deck.

Great Shogun Shien
    Attack-2500
    Defense-2400
    Effect-If you control 2 or more "Six Samurai" monsters, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. Your opponent can activate only 1 Spell/Trap Card each turn. If this card would be destroyed, you can destroy a "Six Samurai" monster you control instead.

Enishi, Shien's Chancellor
    Attack-2200
    Defense-1200
    Effect-This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card cannot be Special Summoned except by removing from play 2 "Six Samurai" monsters from your Graveyard. Once per turn, you can destroy 1 face-up monster on the field. If you activate this effect, this card cannot attack this turn.
    Now first lets discuss the strengths. The most obvious strength is the well roundedness. In fact, in my opinion, this is the most well rounded deck in the metagame. There is almost no situation in which the Six Samurai cannot handle. Irou can destroy face down monsters, Yariza can attack directly, Nisashi can attack twice in battle, Hand of the Six Samurai can tribute a samurai to destroy any monster on the field, whether face up or face down, Spirit of the Six Samurai can make the owner draw more cards as well as preserve the life of the six samurai its equipped to, Yaichi can destroy face down spells/traps, Kamon can destroy face up spells/traps, Zanji can destroy any monster it battles with, even when destroyed so long as another samurai with a different name is on the field, Grandmaster of the Six Samurai can return another samurai or itself after being destroyed by an effect, Shien's Footsoldier can search out a level 3 or lower Samurai, Enishi can destroy any face up monster on the field, and lastly Great Shogun Shien can limit the opponent to only one activation of a spell or trap per turn.

Another good strong point is the ability to swarm the field fast. None of the Six Samurai monsters require a tribute, as all of the high level monsters can be special summoned. In addition to this, they can make another Six Samurai monster take its place in being destroyed, whether by a card effect or by battle.

As for weaknesses, one of them is the possibility of having a bad hand. At most times you might not have the right tools to make a successful swarm. There are also some cards that can hinder the progress of Six Samurai decks. For example, Royal Oppression, Skill Drain, Warrior Elimination, Kinetic Soldier, Black Rose Dragon, Lightning Vortex, Gozen Match, Torrential Tribute, and Mirror Force. However with the right side deck, some of these cards can easily be extinguished.

Speaking of side decks, I think the Six Samurai are the least affected by the opponents side deck counters, with the exception of Warrior Elimination and Kinetic Soldier. Especially since Six Samurai decks have lost a bit of popularity.

Now with what I suggest are the right sides for Six Samurai decks to use to their advantage.

Mask of Restrict can put an end to Monarch decks, and leave the Six Samurai deck owner to a major advantage. This card can also prevent a Crush Card Virus from being activated in Monarch decks.

Discord puts an end to the possibility of Synchro Summons. (Yet to be online)

Conspiracy of the Tuning Mentor will allow you to gain control of a synchro monster that is special summoned. It will be removed from play when it is destroyed. (Yet to be online)

Shadow Imprisioning Mirror can put a halt to the Norleras and Zombie Decks. Of course Irou will also be affected, but it shouldn't hurt too much.

Light Imprisoning Mirror will shut down Lightsworns. Of course Zanji and Enishi will be affected as well.

Royal Decree can help put an end to Burn decks, Royal Oppresion, Skill Drain as well as trap heavy decks that the opponent might use to shut the samurai swarm down.

Rivalry of Warlords can hinder the progress of Gladiator Beast decks to prevent monsters like Gyzarus, and Heraklinos from appearing.

D.D. Crow can help aid in preventing Norleras, Treeborn Frog, or other activations in the grave.

My Body as a Shield for protection.
    Now for support. Theres quite a lot of support for this deck. I'll start with the important ones.

Book of moon to help Irou gain more from its effect.

Reasoning to increase the potential of a swarm.

Ultimate Offering to help increase a swarm.

Reinforcement of the Army to search a Six Samurai needed.

The Warrior Returning Alive to fetch a Six Samurai monster from the graveyard.

Cunning of the Six Samurai to take advantage of the battle phase, as well as substitution for any used effects by the Six Samurai

Giant Trunade, Cold Wave, and Heavy Storm to secure a good swarm.

Six Samurai United for extra draw power.

Gateway of the six. This new spell card will be released online at some point. It works the same as Six Samurai United, except you add two Bushido counters for each time a Six Samurai monster is summoned. It gets the following effects when removing this spell from the field.

● 2 Counters: Until the End Phase of this turn, 1 face-up "Six Samurai" or "Shien" Effect Monster gains 500 ATK.
    ● 4 Counters: Add 1 "Six Samurai" monster from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand.
    ● 6 Counters: Special Summon 1 "Shien" Effect Monster from your Graveyard.
    Of course theres other support for the Six Samurai, but these are rarely used in the metagame.

Six Scrolls of the Samurai (Yet to be online)
    Effect-Tribute 2 face-up "Six Samurai" monsters. Special Summon 1 "Great Shogun Shien" from your Deck.

Backs to the Wall
    Effect-Pay Life Points so that you only have 100 left. Special Summon as many "Six Samurai" monsters from your Graveyard as possible. You cannot Special Summon more than 1 monster with the same name, or a monster that has the same name as a monster you already control.

Breakthrough!
    Effect-Select 1 "Six Samurai" monster you control. If the selected monster destroys an opponent's monster by battle, "Great Shogun Shien" and all "Six Samurai" monsters you control can attack your opponent directly during the Battle Phase of this turn.

Double-Edged Sword Technique
    Effect-Select 2 "Six Samurai" monsters from your Graveyard, and Special Summon them in face-up Attack Position. Destroy them during the End Phase of this turn and take damage equal to the ATK of the destroyed monster(s).

Legendary Ebon Steed
    Effect-Equip only to a "Six Samurai" monster. It gains 200 ATK and DEF. If it would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.

Return of the Six Samurai
    Effect-Special Summon 1 "Six Samurai" monster from your Graveyard. Destroy it at the end of this turn.

Shien's Castle of Mist
    Effect-When a "Six Samurai" monster is attacked, the attacking monster loses 500 ATK during damage calculation only.

Swift Samurai Storm
    Effect-Each turn, after the first time a "Six Samurai" monster you control battles, all "Six Samurai" monsters you control gain 300 ATK until the end of this turn.

Swiftstrike Armor
    Effect-During your Draw Phase, if you draw a "Six Samurai" Monster Card, you can Special Summon it.
    Well theres my guide. For fans of the Six Samurai, I hope that it can become a great convenience to you.
    Last edited by TexcyBurkehart; 01-12-2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Fixed a few bloody typos

Team
    DuelCityElite
    IGN
    LordMelchett

Thank you for posting this very comprehensive guide to the six samurai; I know you just love playing this deck. Hopefully this will help anyone who's considering playing 6-Sams to get a good insight on how to build the deck.

As you've mentioned - the online game is still missing the 2 key cards that will make this deck a lot stronger: "Hand of the Six Samurai" and "Gateway of the Six". One guy at my IRL local tournaments runs these and its always a challenging match.

One suggestion I have for the side deck is to run Dimensional Fissures - Sams can make do without the graveyard while this card can seriously hinder LS and Zombie decks.
    Leader of DCE

Minister of card rulings (RC-1 Certified); Master of Solemn Judgments; Never Say Die Hero; Judai

Ultimate all nicknames in 1 duel

IGN
    Gabber2

Thanks for the guide Tex , it's very useful because im trying to make a Six Samurai deck. This will come in handy for sure!

Nice Guide ^-^
    I thought I have seen a guide about Six Samurai before ^-^,

but yours is a nice guide too ^-^
    I'm adding it to the index strategy ^-^

Thumbs up

Awesome!, You also could add Solidarty To the Deck To Add an easy 800 Atk to each Monster...As long as your graveyard has only Warriors in it.
    Need help? Click here How to Play Yu-Gi-Oh Online 3 4/5/2011 (Up to 15,643 Viewed it -Total of both Versions)
    See the Cards I've Featured? Zentu's Card Index

Team
    DuelCityElite
    IGN
    Soldierofchaos, ???

Very nice guide. This will help many people who want to run the Samurais. It also gave me a peek at the future of the deck theme as I don't pay much attention to packs not online.

I don't play much IRL, but when I use my Six Samurais in YGO3, I like to use Chaos Sorcerer. It works well considering I run 3 Irou and Gorz for Darks and 3 Zanji and Enishi for Lights.

A card I like to run in my Samurai Deck is the continuous spell "The A. Forces". The instant increase of 200 points lets my Zanji run over other common level four monsters like "Zombie Master" and "Garoth, Lightsworn Warrior", and a maximum increase of 1000 points means even Yariza becomes a threat at 2000 direct damage a turn. When the card is released, this deck also pairs well with "Burden of the Mighty". When the two are combined, almost nothing will be able to beat them in battle. And, of course, the equip spell "United We Stand" fits well in this deck, with so many monsters turning up at once.
    I need no decietful tricks,
    My character is my sword.
    -Kaijudo Rule

Team
    DuelCityElite
    IGN
    Nichibon

Great post. I love the Six Samurai..but it's exceedingly difficult to make a deck that flows well. It's one reason I like them so much....they're challenging to build. I've found that the deck flows best when it caters directly to the six samurai...in other words, minimal or no outisde techs/monsters/hybridization.

I can't wait for Hand of the Six and Gateway to come out. This will really give the sams a boost.
    RC-1 Level Certified Konami Judge
    My Trade List

Kudos for the Awesome guide Texcy.

I can't really add on what the others have said.

One thing i will say though (i hope you'll agree with me), is that Six-Sams do work Very well, but it all really depends on how fast you can get Grandmaster or Shien to hand / Out on the field, (these are usually the game enders / turn - arounds)

With all the meta around, (Even YGO3 meta), Six-Samurai's can still keep up pretty well.
    Duel City Elite Duelist.

"Your Friendly Neighbourhood Giglamesh, At Your Service."
    All 3 Viruses In One Duel

Team
    DuelCityElite
    IGN
    Nichibon

While i believe GM and Shien are the game changers for the deck, i think the challenge is actually making a deck that can work even without them. My new deck (in the depot) is an attempt at abusing the "other" samurais.

I'd like to add...that besides having a "bad hand" as a weakness, the biggest weakness (ironically also their strength) for Samurai's is their dependence on each other. Most people count on the swarming ability of GM to get the 2nd samurai on the field. However, Samurai's need to be able to stay out on the field in (at least) pairs for as long as possible. Alot of protection is needed for sams. You can almost equate it to Gladiator Beasts as far as protection is concerned.
    Last edited by Nichigo; 01-14-2010 at 11:32 AM.
    RC-1 Level Certified Konami Judge
    My Trade List